Sunday, March 29, 2009

Livin' the Dream

I think that my dream to participate in a triathlon began when I was in high school. I ran on the Cross-Country and Track & Field team. I really enjoyed both, even though I was never the fastest runner, but I could do almost any event I was thrown into, including the mile, 4x800, 4x400, 4x200, 4x100, hurdles, pole vaulting and I'm sure some other events along the way too.

I was first exposed to triathlon's though my uncle, Fred Rzymek. He organizes triathlons and other running events in the Tampa Bay area, including the Escape from Fort DeSoto. It was at the Escape that my mom, me and my sister helped out one year. I saw all the people running, cycling and swimming and knew it was perfect for me. It wasn't just one event, it was several. Ever since, it has been in the back of my mind to one day do a triathlon.

The Goal
After years of contemplating participating in a triathlon, I decided it is time. I'm going to set a goal and start my training.

My goal is to participate in a sprint length triathlon. I have yet to decide if I will participate in the Aflac Iron Girl triathlon (June 28, 2009) or the Emerald Point Triathlon (October 4, 2009).

Current Training
I began riding my mountain bike to work while I was living in Tampa, which was about a 18 mile ride round-trip. But when I moved to Atlanta in August 2008, my work was much further and I was unable to ride my bike to work any more. Now I am a member at LA Fitness and go to spin classes twice a week.

I recently participated in the ING Publix 5K and began running once a week in preparation.

No swim training as of yet. I would really like to get some training in this area since it would be my weakness. My gym has a pool, but if anyone has any suggestions on training, please advise.

No comments:

Post a Comment