Sunday, March 29, 2009

My First Road Bike


This past week or so I began my search for a road bike. I wanted an entry level road bike, nothing fancy because, well, I wouldn't know what to do with it. I first looked on Craigslist, which had many postings, but most were older touring bikes, large men's bikes or way out of my price range. Since I'm a shorter lady (5'4") there really wasn't much out there for me.

My next stops were Atlanta Cycling and REI where I found two great candidates.

First from Atlanta Cycling was the Trek 1.2 Triple WSD, this is a great bike that Trek has put a lot of R&D into for a women's specific fit. Another benefit of getting this bike or any bike from Atlanta Cycling for that matter, is that you get a lifetime warrenty, 30 day trial and a very detailed custom fit assessment for no additional charge.

The second bike from REI was the Novara Carema Women's Bike. This bike was at about the same level as the Trek but is a brand that is made for REI. Buying a bike from REI is good if you are a member because you'll get money back at the end of the year from all the purchases you make. They also do custom fitting for no additional charge.

And the winner is...

The Trek 1.2 Triple WSD. It came down to personal preference and service. I liked the Shimano Sora STI, 9 speed shifters compared to the Shimano Tiagra shifters on the Novara. The Sora STI shifters were similar to the shifters on my mountain bike so it would be a easy transition. I also liked the smaller frame on the Trek, it is easier to stand over and overall easier to handle.

The service at Atlanta Cycling is great. They spent over a half hour sizing the bike for me, for no extra charge! In addition, if at any time I want something readjusted, I just have to bring it back into the shop and they'll take care of it.

Another great aspect of Atlanta Cycling is that they also host group cycling events. To learn more about their event, click here.

Happy riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment