Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Injuries

Wednesday was my first Whitewater Kayaking class which was more challenging than I expected. After the classroom session, we went outside to get fitted to our kayaks which we then had to carry up two flights of stairs! I wanted to be like, “Hey, can I get an elevator over here!?” After that was over the first thing we learned to do is escape from a capsized kayak. I really wasn’t expecting to jump into this quite so quickly, but there I was upside-down in my kayak! It is a strange feeling being upside-down underwater. I’m still not use to it. During the pool session we also learned how to do an Eskimo rescue and some different paddle strokes. While practicing the Eskimo rescue I think I pulled something in my arm. I had noticed a strange feeling in it before and I think I just pushed it over the edge. Luckily, since it was an arm injury, it seems to be back to normal now.

Our first river trip was cancelled because too many people couldn’t make it. I have class again tomorrow and the [first] river trip is this weekend.

Over the long weekend I was able to make it out to All 3 Sports, a triathlon store, and purchase some race gear. I got a pair of tri shorts which are like regular cycling shorts but have a thinner pad so that when you swim they won’t absorb too much water. The top I got looks like a regular sports tank top, but it also has a pocket on the back to keep energy food. I will do all three disciplines in these clothes which will help save time in the transitions.

It rained off and on all weekend which kept Phil and me indoors. But on Monday it finally cleared up for a little bit in the afternoon and we decided to go skateboarding at Piedmont Park. While I was about to go down a hill, I had slowed down while waiting for some people to clear out, I hit a rock and fell. Most of the time this wouldn’t be so bad, but of course, I had to fall on my ankle. After a little bit of a break and trying to walk-it-off, I got back on my board and finished the loop.

When I got back home I began icing it. I thought maybe it would start feeling better after awhile, but it didn’t. This morning, my ankle is swollen more than it was yesterday and it hurts to walk. I’m pretty sure I sprained it so I don’t think I’ll be training for the rest of the week.

I can only hope that it clears up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment