Saturday, May 9, 2009

Running for Our Lives

On Saturday, May 9th, I ran in the the Atlanta Race for the Cure. I wasn't so sure how the weather would be because almost everyday the previous week they have forecasted rain which didn't always pan out. Luckily, the rain stayed away, but the overcast skies made for perfect running weather since it has been pretty warm lately. I ran a time of 29:55, which is slower than I would have liked, but considering that for about the first mile or so I was just bobbing and weaving through the crowd, I think the time was decent.

The race itself felt really great to participate in. Participatants were able to create back signs that either said, 'I Race in Celebration of...' or 'I Race in Memory of...' I wore one in celebration of a close family friend, Mary Lou Osborne, who has been battling breast cancer for more than two years (see pictures above.) It got me a little emotional to see all of the back signs that people were wearing. Some people even had 3 or 4 on their backs. Seeing all of the names and pink signs gave me a real perspective on how many people that are not only infected with breast cancer, but are also affected by breast cancer.

If you would like to help support a search for a cure even further, go to this website and select Atlanta, GA as the race and then select Gallery 3. Here you will find the two left pictures above. You can download these pictures for free and for every download, Fuze will donate $1 to the Susan G. Komen Foundation. Also, if you would still like to support my efforts in the Atlanta Race for the Cure, you can still make donations on My Race for the Cure page.

As for the rest of my training, I'm still right on track. I can't believe I have less than two months until the race - ahhh! My next event will be the Atlanta Muddy Buddy which will be held on June 20th (the week before the tri). I'll give more updates on that event when it is closer to race day.

No comments:

Post a Comment