Monday, April 13, 2009

First Swim

Today I had my first swim lesson at Georgia Tech’s Campus Recreation Center. The lesson really didn’t get off on the right foot, because I had issues at my apartment and with parking on campus that made me about 10 minutes late.

After getting changed, I found my instructor, Josh, and began my swim lessons. I was nervous about the swim lessons because I wasn’t sure if the instructor would have the kind of information that I would need, but Josh had a ton of knowledge. He was very considerate of my specific training goals and quickly came up with detailed drills to improve my swimming ability.

The swim class was definitely more difficult than I expected. I think there were two reasons it was so hard. One, I was so frazzled and nervous from my mishaps before the session that I wasn’t able to focus very well, and I was also very tense. Secondly, I haven’t laps in a very long time, plus, I don’t think I was ever good at it.

After my first few laps, I was so tired. I couldn’t believe it. I thought that I had built up my cardiovascular strength pretty well, but I guess it wasn’t enough for swimming.

My next session is on Wednesday. I’m going to go directly from work to swim, so I hopefully won’t be late.

No comments:

Post a Comment