Thursday, April 16, 2009

Updates on Races & Swimming

Races
Earlier this week, I signed up for the Race for the Cure that will be held May 9th. I’m really excited to do this event, not only because I want to see what my time will be, but also because I have really wanted to do a Race for the Cure for a few years now, but it has just never worked out. I know several people (family and friends) that have survived or who are currently battling breast cancer. It is an important cause to me and if you would like to support me in this race, please visit my Race for the Cure page and donate. So far I have raised $75 and only need a few more donations to reach my goal. Thank you to all those that have already donated.

Phil and I will be participating in a different kind of race this weekend, the Great Urban Race. The Great Urban Race is part Amazing Race, part scavenger hunt. We signed up for it a few months ago as Team PandA (Phil and Abby, P and A – get it?). From what I’ve heard from other people it’s a blast! I’m planning on just having fun during the race, but the top 25 teams do qualify for the championships in New Orleans. I’ll have to try to keep my competitive nature in check.

Second Swim Lesson
Yesterday I had my second swim lesson and I already feel as though I’m improving. I was still extremely tired while I was swimming, but I was more comfortable breathing (as we did several drills to improve this). I am also starting to feel faster after I did a kicking drill.

At the end of each lesson my instructor is timing me as I do several laps, to track my improvement, and my time went down! Maybe hope isn’t lost after all – just kidding.

Before my next lesson on Monday, my instructor wants me to swim 10-15 laps. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to do that this weekend as I’m planning on going to spin class tonight and running tomorrow. He also said that I should be swimming 3-4 times a week, which is nearly impossible for me to do every week.

On that note, this has been my first week training with all three disciplines and it has been kind of crazy (and the week isn’t even over yet!) It isn’t so much my body being tired from exercising, but more the lack of time I now have to do the other things I did before, such as cooking dinner or going to the grocery store. I’m hoping that I will soon be able to develop a routine so that I don’t feel so stretched for time.

No comments:

Post a Comment