Monday, April 27, 2009

You Snooze - You Lose

Who would have thought that an event would sell out two months in advance!? Well, that's what happened.

When I went online today to check the registration for the Aflac Iron Girl Atlanta Triathlon, it was SOLD OUT! I was so disappointed. I had thought of registering a few times before (and almost did) but I was just waiting a little bit longer until I could make sure that I wasn't going to be injured or some other unpredictable circumstance occured. But, I waited a little too long. The event sold out on the 21st.

I wrote an email to the organizers as a last ditch attempt at gaining access to the triathlon. When they replied, they said they can't really do much but place me on the waiting list which I'm 12th on. There really isn't any way to tell how many people may drop from the race, and of the people that may drop, who knows if they'll notify the organizers. In short, my chances are next to nothing of getting into the Iron Girl.

The good news is is that I have found another sprint length triathlon for the same weekend, it is called the Tri the Parks Triathlon & Duathlon at Indian Springs State Park. This triathlon is actually one event of a series. The series has triathlons, duathlons and one aquathon in different state parks throughout Georgia. I think this triathlon will be really fun because it is more local and it is always great to support local groups.

The Tri the Park triathlon is a 600 meter swim, 12.8 mile bike and 3.1 mile run. These distances are all the same as the Iron Girl, except for the bike. The bike in the Iron Girl is 18 miles, which I would perfer because I think I can do really well on the bike, but I guess beggers can't be choosers. Plus, this is just my first triathlon, I'm sure I'll have many more to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment