Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Some Frustrations

Yesterday was a somewhat frustrating and disappointing day. I was hoping to go on my first group ride out of Atlanta Cycling, but my plans were thwarted by the unseasonably chilly weather. Yesterdays high, I believe, was in the mid 40’s with snow flurries (yes, I said snow flurries). I was hopeful though and brought all of the cold weather gear I could think of for the group ride. Unfortunately, when I got to Atlanta Cycling, they informed me that the group ride was canceled due to cold weather.

Since I couldn’t go on the group ride, I decided to go for a run instead. I have to say, it was cold, but not THAT cold. Once I got going it wasn’t half bad. Plus, it was actually the WARMEST part of the day. Some people may say that these cyclists are fair weather cyclists, but I wouldn’t (cough, cough, cough).

I’m determined to get out on the road this week. Atlanta Cycling organizes another group ride for beginners on Thursday. The forecast says that it will be mostly sunny and in the low 70’s. Let’s hope they can’t find anything wrong with that.

Another frustration for me yesterday was my swim classes. I signed up for the swim classes on April 1st. It has now been a week and I still haven’t heard anything back as to day and time. I really want to start theses classes because I am waiting to start my swim training until I start these classes. I just keep feeling the days ticking away. I emailed my contact yesterday; hopefully she will get back to me soon.

On a positive note, I have been reading the Triathlete’s Training Bible by Joe Friel. This book contains just about anything and everything you could think of for a triathlon. I found invaluable information on weight training, stretching, workouts and general tips overall on training and preparation for a triathlon.

While reading, I have found reassurance in my training schedule (once I get swimming). I have decided to do a 2-2-2. Two days cycling, two days running and two days swimming with one rest day. The book says that this is a good program for a novice. But when I get 3-4 weeks out from the triathlon, I will step up my program to also include brick workouts (workouts that include two or more disciplines.)

No comments:

Post a Comment